There are many technologies that meet the needs of CI/CD solutions, but most of them are not built to work in containerized environments and may not fit Microservices architecture. Tekton is an open-source Kubernetes-native CI/CD framework that allows you to automate deployments on multiple platforms (Kubernetes, Servless, VMs, etc.).
But what about the “Openshift Pipelines”?
Openshift Pipelines is a CI/CD solution based on the open source Tekton project which provides a CI/CD experience through integration with OpenShift.
For more details check the docs.
- Development Environment, work in your application code and monitor the pipeline run in the same screen:
- Follow up the
Pipeline Viewin Developer Mode at
- Let the microservice dependencies be automatically created and deployed by it own pipeline. The application is created using Quarkus by Burr Sutter and can be found at https://github.com/burrsutter/blue-green-canary
To run this demo, below are the tools that must be installed:
- Openshift 4.2+ Cluster with Openshift Pipelines Operator installed
- Tekton CLI configured in your PATH
- Vscode with Tekton Plugin installed
How to run
In your cluster create a project called demo:
oc new-project demo
Clone the project:
git clone https://github.com/msmagnanijr/tdc-tekton.git cd tdc-tekton
Create the service and route:
Create the pipeline objects:
Create the pipeline run:
Check your project route with the following command:
oc get route -n demo NAME HOST/PORT PATH SERVICES PORT TERMINATION WILDCARD tdc-app tdc-app-demo.apps.sample.automation.io tdc-app http None
Access the route and you should check the application running.
Thanks to Bruno Andrade who wrote the steps and created these gifs.